- Full text PDF available (5)
- This year (0)
- Last 5 years (1)
- Last 10 years (1)
We have previously cloned a 3.5 kb fragment from the Staphylococcus aureus multiresistance plasmid pSK1 which carries the qacA determinant responsible for linked resistance to acriflavine (Acr), ethidium bromide (Ebr), quaternary ammonium compounds (Qar), propamidine isethionate (Pir), and diamidinodiphenylamine dihydrochloride (Ddr). This report presents a… (More)
Clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus carry various antiseptic and disinfectant resistance determinants (qac genes) on a variety of plasmids. The biochemistry and specificity of these resistance genes in S. aureus is the subject of this report. The qac genes were separated into two families on the basis of resistance profiles and DNA homology. Isotopic… (More)
Consensus cis-acting DNA sequences upstream of the immediate early (IE) gene of equid herpesvirus type 1 (EHV-1, strain Ab4) were identified. One copy of the conserved motif TAATGARATTC, which is the binding site for the host cellular factor Oct-1 and herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) virion protein, VmW65, complex, was identified at positions -630 to… (More)
Results from Southern hybridization and PCR amplification experiments using a randomly synthesized reverse transcription-PCR product showed that peripheral blood leukocytes from horses showing no clinical signs of disease expressed a putative latency-associated transcript antisense to and overlapping the 3' end of the equid herpesvirus 1 (EHV-1)… (More)
The herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) tegument protein VP16 is a potent transcriptional inducer of immediate-early gene expression, comprising an N-terminal domain involved in binding DNA linked to an acidic transactivating C-terminal domain. The gene encoding the counterpart of this protein in equid herpesvirus 4 (EHV-4) was sequenced. Comparisons with… (More)
The nucleotide sequence of the gene specifying the ethidium efflux system of Escherichia coli has been determined. The translated open reading frame has identified a membrane-bound polypeptide of 110 amino acids (11,960 Da) which shares 42% identity with a staphylococcal protein specifying resistance to ethidium.
Differential methylation of CpG sites in the promoter region of the mouse Xist gene is correlated with Xist expression and X-chromosome inactivation in the female. Using oligonucleotides encompassing the differentially methylated sites as probes in band-shift assays, we have identified a nuclear protein which binds to a specific region of the promoter… (More)
IL-2 and equine chorionic gonadotrophin (eCG) initiated reactivation of equid herpesvirus-1 (EHV-1) from venous lymphocytes at a frequency of 1/10(-5). Indirect immunofluorescence showed that > 80% of virus-positive leukocytes were CD5+/CD8+ with the remaining 20% being CD5+/CD8-/CD4-. Cocultivation demonstrated that the reactivated virus was infectious. In… (More)
The gene specifying the ethidium efflux system of Escherichia coli has been cloned on a 3.2 kbp HindIII fragment and located on a 1.2 kbp fragment within this. Cross-resistance studies indicate that the system has a broad specificity for monovalent cations and the gene shows no hybridisation with similar genes found in Staphylococci.
1. Infection with the bovine abomasal nematode Ostertagia ostertagi results in a loss of acid-secreting parietal cells and an increase in gastric pH. The effects of an experimental infection on gastrin mRNA expression, blood and tissue gastrin concentrations, the different molecular forms of gastrin in each, and pyloric mucosal chromogranin A-derived… (More)